Monday, August 24, 2009

Leftovers are my favorite meal


I really admire those who love to cook but if I look at a recipe and it has more then 5 ingredients, I lose interest. I hate going to the grocery store, so I go once a week so if I don’t have an ingredient, I leave it out or don’t make it. I try to always cook from scratch but found there are lots of shortcuts that make a big difference.

-I love cake mixes for quick and easy deserts.

-I love roasted chickens, if not on sale I make my own. I cut off the meat and boil the bones with vegetables for a fresh broth to use in cooking, like chicken soup.

-I do take the time to make my own breads, it is worth it, especially from a nutritional point of view. Although, Rhodes is our favorite Sunday roll, my kids prefer them to homemade so I decided it wasn’t worth the time it took on Sunday mornings to make rolls unless it is a special occasion.

-I love to use refrigerator biscuits to save time, although someday, I want to be an awesome biscuit maker.

-I always make extra, especially meat, to use for another meal. If we grill pork chops, I do extra and cut up for sweet-n-sour pork with rice. Then make extra rice and use it in a broccoli-rice casserole. Even left over baked potatos make the best potato cheese soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment